Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David in Normandy David in Normandy is offline

Default Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus - booby trapped postings

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Ok - this is just spooky... I have already answered this question, and
my guess is that for reasons I can't quite figure out, my reply was
posted all over cyberspace... except urg.... (All weird newsgroups
pruned from this reply)
Cat(h)

You need to beware there are a few trolls posting on URG, pretending to be
gardeners. They post new messages or replies to existing threads, usually in
a contentious nature so they elicit lots of replies. However, they "booby
trap" their post so that despite it only showing uk.reg.gardening any
replies are sent NOT to URG but instead to a whole load of other newsgroups.
They do this by setting the "follow-up" part of their message to these other
groups. Their sole intention is to trick you into bombarding other groups
with messages that the subscribers to those groups aren't interested in. I
suspect it is kids mucking about, getting a kick out of winding others up.

So before you click "Send" always take a glance at where the post is going
to go - and edit it necessary!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk