Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Is it possible to grow Carrots in containers at this time of year?

"jane" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:34:25 +0100, "Gill Matthews"
wrote:

~
~"tina" wrote in message
.. .
~ Hi,
~
~ I have some large plastic packing crates. I also have an empty
~ greenhouse & a small electric heater.
~
~ Is it possible to grow Carrots in containers at this time of year
~ either inside or outside the greenhouse (heater or unheated)?
~
~ P.s If its is ok, will it be ok to fill the crates with sieved
~ compost, with some peat mixed in?
~
~ Thanks for your help.
~
~try forcing carrots like Amsterdam sweetheart for these conditions They
grow
~for me from Feb. in cloches. it might be more of a problem with the light
~levels though

'scuse previous post - was hopping to an email and accidentally
pressed send before I'd finished hunting down the dates I sowed the
carrots on!

Don't worry I'll forgive you, this time!

If it helps, I've grown Amsterdam Forcing in a pot of JI compost which
were sown in a conservatory (so warmer than outside) on January 8th.
Got loads of little tiny finger-sized carrots at the end of April.

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.