Old 03-10-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Advice sought on pruning very large spreading conifers ??

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

wrote:
I have a number of low spreading very large conifers. They seem to be
to big for the location. How and when can I cut them back, as it seems
as thou there will be just wood with no shoots afterwoods.

You're right: if you cut back into brown wood, they won't grow back.

Unless they are yews, which can be hard pruned and will resprout from
a brown trunk.

Of course. But an enquirer who just calls them "conifers" and needs
advice is pretty certainly talking about the usual suspects, and
probably doesn't even think of the yew as a conifer ("So where are the
cones, then? All I can see are these beries."), or know what a
gymnosperm is. I think I named the likely suspects in my evidence to
this Court.

--
Mike.