Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Naff potatoes disposal ?

"BoyPete" wrote in message

I have great trouble finding a good potato masher. The run of the mill
varieties all seem to have too large holes, and pounding for ages still
leaves lumps. Yuk!! What do you use?

A grandson, who of course knew everything at 17, said that a potato ricer
was the Only Thing so I bought an expensive device from John Lewis. Because
of my proclivity for mashing potatoes with their skins on it wasn't 100%
effecient and caused much use of expletives unsuitable for someone of my
vintage so I reverted to my ancient chrome plated one which was part of a
set we were given as a wedding present*. The chrome is coming off in parts
but it works!

But I can't use it on my beloved Circulon pans so I bought a plastic masher
which wouldn't risk scratching the lining. As you say, the holes are too
large.

So until Spouse makes me a tool like a wooden mallet with the head on
sideways I'll have to boil potatoes in the steel pans :-(

Mary
* in 1960