Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Naff potatoes disposal ?

Mary Fisher wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message

I have great trouble finding a good potato masher. The run of the mill
varieties all seem to have too large holes, and pounding for ages still
leaves lumps. Yuk!! What do you use?

A grandson, who of course knew everything at 17, said that a potato ricer
was the Only Thing so I bought an expensive device from John Lewis. Because
of my proclivity for mashing potatoes with their skins on it wasn't 100%
effecient and caused much use of expletives unsuitable for someone of my
vintage so I reverted to my ancient chrome plated one which was part of a
set we were given as a wedding present*. The chrome is coming off in parts
but it works!

But I can't use it on my beloved Circulon pans so I bought a plastic masher
which wouldn't risk scratching the lining. As you say, the holes are too
large.

So until Spouse makes me a tool like a wooden mallet with the head on
sideways I'll have to boil potatoes in the steel pans :-(

Potato mashers are a funny game: they seem very keen on selling ones
which don't actually mash potatoes. For an old-fashioned hand one, the
one I've finally settled on has holes half an inch long and
three-sixteenths wide: Pete should take a ruler into the shop and he'll
be OK: ignore fancy brands and "design", and go by the ruler. Next
consideration is a comfortable handle, not a pretty one -- as with any
other tool. Devices which make you turn a handle work very well, but
you can't use them for mashing up tomatoes in the pan, or fruit in your
wine-bucket, and things like that.

--
Mike