Old 04-10-2006, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Sweet Potatoes

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/10/06 00:02, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

George.com wrote:
[...]
Yams are a tropical vegetable however sweet potatoes are not related to
yams.

[...]
But note that in some American recipes "yam" means "sweet potato", not
"yam".

Doesn't yam come from Calocasia and make what the Hawaians call 'poi' -
disgusting to the untrained palate but nostalgically yearned for by
exiles?
Or is that Alocasia - and what's the difference?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

That question sounds like a goody for David Poole:-)
Alo and calo are related they are both aroids--that's my total knowledge.
The leaves of one hang down and the other is more erect:-)
It's the colo that gets eaten (Colocasia esculenta?) Apparently it's
considered and invasive weed --so on that basis I have a few which make nice
big leaves and die if you mention the f word.
It's just too cool up here to leave em out.
Anyone planning to eat them should take care to make absolutely sure about
preparation and cooking. The spadix is poisonous (oxalic acid) and tastes
horrid.