Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Dave Chalton

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

I really don't know what is the best bet, to be honest - some plants
would grow ok outside, some certainly won't. Lets face it, when some
varieties will grow outdoors in Russia, yet others won't contemplate
even a hothouse in the UK, it really leaves a lot of in-between
varieties.

To answer your question once and for all, if you have sufficient
seedlings, time and the inclination, would be to try groups of the
plants in a variety of conditions, ie some planted out, some outside
in pots, some in pots inside, some in greenhouse etc. If the plant the
seeds came from grew ok outside before in Co.Cork, I would guess there
wouldn't be too much of a problem - the critical times, from my
experience, are germination and flowering. Again, this is probably
breed specific, but the general thinking is that a
soil/compost/potting medium temp of 15 C at flowering/pollination is
required to avoid the flowers just dropping off.

I must point out that I'm still learning, and likely always will be,
but I can talk with certainty about what I've found to work, with my
plants, in my climate. This is not something anyone else is likely to
know, who hasn't attempted the same thing under the same conditions. I
know for sure that if I put my plants outside, whatever the
acclimatisation period, they would either die or go dormant within a
few days...

So, my best advice is to experiment - if something works, great, if
not, don't try it again!

Sorry I cant be more help

Dave

My seeds have just germinated. When should I start planting them out? Or
should I plant them out at all? Keep 'em in pots? Keep 'em indoors?

The plant that the seeds came from was grown outside in Co. Cork which
has a more temperate climate than Dublin. Can't remember if it was
potted or in the ground.

Thanks for advice...

Dublin, Ireland.