Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Canna

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sue wrote:

These people list one the called 'Creamy White' but they admit it's pale
yellow really.

It is a very soft lemon and as far as that colour range goes, not a
particularly good one either. In hot sun the petals burn and in shade
they are too yellow ... if you want a 'white' that is. I'm glad you
mentioned it because I had that variety on the tip of my tongue
originally. I could see it in my mind's eye, but couldn't remember the
name. There's another that is pale blush and claimed to be a 'white',
but I can't think.

I've had a little bit of experience in trying to raise white flowered
plants from parents that do not have it in their background. It's not
easy and you often have to take a somewhat abstract route to get
anywhere near. Cannas are easy because you can see the results of your
efforts in a few months from sowing. They are difficult because the
colour you may be looking for can almost crop up, but brings with it a
host of problems, especially poor flower substance. No-one has
managed it yet and it maybe that no-one ever will. No harm in trying,
but be prepared to raise thousands of plants ... and chuck nearly all
of them away

I've had a search around and 'New White' claims to be pure white as does
(nearly?)Canna x generalis 'Alyse',Snow Dragon and Chesapeake.
Some appear to be "new" -so lets see what comes up.
Your original comment about weak flowers may be pertinent to this lot.