Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Dahlia imperialis?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/10/06 20:23, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
It's a very simple approach but it works and it's ethical which is
important to everyone here.

OK -OK I heard you the first time. Just keep quiet for a bit longer
please.
Give me chance to get down there with a lorry :-)

LOL! You won't be the first. We have London garden designers here to buy
their stock some times!
Let me know when you have Strongylodon Macrobotrys back in stock

There's a sorry tale behind that. Ray lost the one he had growing madly
in
the big double - heaven knows why but it just keeled over. We were given
one earlier this year but it was a not very happy baby through no fault of
its own or its keeper and it did not survive. If you could tell us how
you're going to keep it going through the winter....... ;-)
To be frank, I don't recall one person asking for it in the last 3 or 4
years. It really is something WE would like to have for ourselves but not
popular plant for our customers.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Jade vine. Yes I remember your call on this group for info about it and
possible suppliers.
I am the prat that decided to import it from the USA. A £50 plant(ex USA)
ended up costing nearer £450 once it arrived (bare rooted from the States).
I potted it up and got a polythene tent round it with misting etc etc but a
Lady from DEFRA rang to say that it had not been inspected at Heathrow
so....
The Lady was very sympathetic but it had to be ripped out of the soil once
again for her inspection. It put up a valiant fight ,died and was composted
several months ago!!
Sieving through the heap to remove shredded plastic credit cards revealed a
few string like roots which had made a bit of growth. A bloody miracle.
Roots have been chopped into little bits and potted. Currently sitting on a
heated bench. When and if anything appears you will be the first to know.
I saw the Jade Vine growing in a derelict conservatory, in Cornwall, many
years ago. It was planted inside but the vine had made its way outside and
was growing strongly. That was 40 years ago but I still remember it.
From the little info I have gleaned it is not unlike many of the so called
tender exotics in that it will survive cold conditions but it really must
have very well drained soil.
There is no point in you flogging the stuff --it would be 75p for a 2L
pot:-)