Old 04-10-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Canna

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/10/06 20:29, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
Thanks David that explains this statement from a US website
"This Curt Wallace hybrid is still regarded as the closest to white
(as judged by a team of color-blind nurserymen) that is available in
the canna family"
So it sounds like caveat emptor on eBay offerings of pure white cannas
at $5000:-)

Come on Rupert, never say never. You could set up a breeding programme
and
eventually make a killing!

These people list one the called 'Creamy White' but they admit it's pale
yellow really.
http://www.hardyexotics.co.uk/
http://www.farnborough.u-net.com/variety.htm

--
Sue

It's going to be easier for me to accept that scarlet and yellow cannas
are
tasteful. A breeding programme sounds interesting. Can I assume you are
my
first volunteer:-)
Any road, who needs flowers when you've got the fabulous foliage of C.
musifolia.

I'm not a great Canna fan and I persuaded Ray to move them out of the big
border to the left of the lawn in front of our house. They really do not
'go' with a Victorian vicarage, IMO and to his eternal credit for kindness
and indulgence he did eventually agree with me. OTOH, there are other
parts
of this property where they can be grown and look entirely in keeping. I
think it all depends on what look you're striving for in your garden. In
some parts, away from the house, we can grow them and they look good but
in
others, near the house, they just don't work. I like 'Durban' because I
love the leaf. One of the things I don't like about them is how quickly
they can look tatty when the wind gets at them. Have you tried Ensete
ventricosum which comes with a 'buyer beware' in terms of rate of growth!
Beautiful thing, IMO.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Well Cannas are* the *Victorian plant--probably popular because of the
gaudy colours which brought a bit of colour into their grey lives.
They are still used around here in municipal planting and they look
absolutely ------ along with the impatiens,lobelia and alyssum. Truthfully I
do admire the mass municipal planting of these things but not in my garden .
Ensete--Fab plants--easy to germinate from seed and grow to uncontrollable
proportions in 2 seasons. Ensete glaucum is the one I love and grow each
year. Overwintered inside and then allowed to die the following winter
because it is far too large to bring inside.
http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/image/67393499
The Canna musifolia is a good substitute and has leaves that are less likely
to get shredded by a breeze.