Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default If I have a son

Mary Fisher wrote:
by Robert Byron was broadcast on Radio 4 this morning as part of National
Poetry Day.

It was unknown to me but it's so beautiful that I've saved it and shall look
at it often.

Mary

he said:
"If I have a son, he shall salute the lords and ladies who unfurl green
hoods to the March rains, and shall know them afterwards by their scarlet
fruit. He shall know the celandine, and the frigid, sightless flowers of the
woods, spurge and spurge laurel, dogs' mercury, wood-sorrel and queer
four-leaved herb-paris fit to trim a bonnet with its purple dot. He shall
see the marshes gold with flags and kingcups and find shepherd's purse on a
slag-heap."

And a lot more.

Mary

I googled the full version of this marvelous poem and saved it.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Cat(h)