Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Snails

michael adams writes

"Jim S" wrote in message
While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a patch

of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails ~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Ice-cream cone shaped snails would probably be sinstrals, possibly
juveniles at that size. Fifth one down

http://www.open2.net/survey/snails/h...l_download.htm

That's a bit of a confusing statement. 'Sinistral' is not the name of
the species, it merely refers to whether the shell coils in a clockwise
or anti-clockwise fashion. 'Ice cream cone' shaped snails can coil in
either direction.

--
Kay