Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Plant ID - Similar to Dracaena

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 17:02, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

On 6/10/06 14:29, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
I will go with cordyline as well but if it's a cordyline then I don't
think
it is australis because the leaves look a tad too broad. It certainly
seems
to have a very thick trunk for an australis at this stage of growth and
would have thought that the lower leaves would have died by now.
Cordyline
indivisa perhaps.
Incidentally the word Dracaena gets used for cordylines and it is
incorrect
but widely used.
"This tree was formerly called 'dracaena' - whence 'Dracaena Avenue' in
Falmouth in Cornwall"
http://www.habitas.org.uk/gardenflora/cordyline1.htm

Having said all that the taxonomy of these things seems a bit confusing.
Every time I see a Cordyline it looks slightly different to the last one
saw,broader leaf, different rib colour or shade etc. I think there has
been
a massive promiscuous going on at some stage:-)

The Torbay Palm or cabbage palm has a clear trunk as far as I know. I
don't
think they ever have leaves going all the way to the ground. David Poole
will know better than I but I don't recall seeing them like this one.

Just one other thought, though almost certainly wrong. Could it be a
Cordyline indivisa?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rupert also thinks it might be indivisa --a few lines back in this post. He
is probably wrong.:-)