Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default Snails

"K" wrote in message
news
michael adams writes

"Jim S" wrote in message
While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a

patch
of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails

~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Ice-cream cone shaped snails would probably be sinstrals, possibly
juveniles at that size. Fifth one down

http://www.open2.net/survey/snails/h...l_download.htm

That's a bit of a confusing statement.

Indeed. However that's how they're introduced on the snail census
website.

quote

[picture]
Sinistral (left-handed) long thin shells (Clausiliidae family).

Shells in this group of species are clearly much longer than wide,
10-20mm long but only about 3-4mm wide. The key characteristic to
look out for is the opening of the shell which is on the left-hand side.

/quote

rather than as being Clausiliidae, for some reason.

'Sinistral' is not the name of
the species, it merely refers to whether the shell coils in a clockwise
or anti-clockwise fashion.

'Ice cream cone' shaped snails can coil in either direction.

Which, for the benefit of the OP, might be from which other
species ? In a UK context, at least.

As presumably they can't be Clausiliidae, as all the ice cream cone shaped
Clausiliidae have already been identified as being Sinistral

If you get my drift.

michael adams

Kay