Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews[_1_] Gill Matthews[_1_] is offline

Default runner beans

"shazzbat" wrote in message
We went to the allotment today and it's all lying on the ground, canes,
beans the lot. So we brought home the beans, shucked them, and now we've
got a washing up bowl full of beans. We haven't let them go long enough to
use as beans rather than pods before, what now? I assume the purplish
outer skin is to go, but that's going to be a huge fiddly operation, how
best to remove it? will it come away any easier when dried or frozen?

TIA

Steve

The purplish outer skin can be left on for dishes of a chilli con carne, 5
bean salad etc. type. I would also leave the skin on if you were thinking
of making bean curds and remove it only at a later filtering stage.

Gill M