Old 17-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Dwayne

Default Using water as thermal storage in cold frame

How much room do you have? If you have a green house, a row of 55 gallon
drums along the south wall, painted black or dark green will do very well.
In addition they are just about the right height to cover with wood and use
it as a work bench/seed tray shelf. If you have lots of room, put another
row on the north side and do the same.

Otherwise use two liter, or one gallon, or five gallon plastic
bottles/jugs/buckets as mentioned before. You can get 5 gallon buckets free
or for almost nothing at bakerys, or other companies that sell a service in
which they use a lot of chemicals that come in five/six gallon buckets. Be
careful of what kind of chemicals were contained in the buckets.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Trace Curry" wrote in message
What's the best method for using water to store heat to be released
during the night to keep a cold frame from going below freezing?

I was thinking a bunch of those black balloons that you often see at
people's 40th birthday party - filled with water of course.

Any better ideas?

I got one of those Gro-quick heating cables, but it doesn't seem to be
doing much as far as heat production, maybe because it's only 15
degrees?

I have some plans for a great cold frame, not that it's rocket science
or anything. If anybody is interested it's just a PDF file - email me
and I'll send it to you.

Thanks,
Trace

Zone 5/Ohio