Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan McKenzie Alan McKenzie is offline

Default Cutting tree near electricity cables

Hi,

I indeed work for an electricity company - customer services - dealing daily
with all the wonderful customers who purchase gas and electricity from our
good selves.
In our area there is a policy that if a cable is running through trees etc
then we make it our responsibility to cut the trees back or what ever needs
doing at no cost to the person whose property the tree is situated. This
type of enquiry is put through to our engineering department who will
arrange for the local depot to do the job. The worst case scenario is when
the tree is causing a problem with the cable and is interupting the supply -
in that case the call is routed through to the emergency centre and they
will have someone out that day usually within 4 hours to deal with the tree
problem and prevent further interuptions of supply.
If you were to let me know your post code I would be able to look up your
distribution area and be able to provide you with the relevant telephone
number of the engineering department.
However I don't know what the policy would be in each of the distribution
areas I'm just giving the responce we would initiate if you were in the
southern area of England which is area 20 but i imagine that other areas
have a similair policy.

Hope this helps.

Alan

"paddytt" wrote in message
ps.com...
We have a tree that is very close to a set of four electricity cables.
Will the electricity network cut the tree back or do we have to pay to
get it done professionally?

thanks

TT