Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default runner beans

"Gill Matthews" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Gill Matthews" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "shazzbat" wrote in message
: : ...
: : We went to the allotment today and it's all lying on the ground,
: canes,
: : beans the lot. So we brought home the beans, shucked them, and now
: we've
: : got a washing up bowl full of beans. We haven't let them go long
: enough
: : use as beans rather than pods before, what now? I assume the
purplish
: : outer skin is to go, but that's going to be a huge fiddly operation,
: how
: : best to remove it? will it come away any easier when dried or
frozen?
: :
: : TIA
: :
: : Steve
: :
: : The purplish outer skin can be left on for dishes of a chilli con
carne,
: 5
: : bean salad etc. type. I would also leave the skin on if you were
: thinking
: : of making bean curds and remove it only at a later filtering stage.
: :
: : Gill M
:
: Use them as they are for next year's seeds
:
: Depends what they were and what was being grown round about. If they were
: F1 hybrids you would probably get more variability than may be desirable.
:
: Gill M
:
naaaaaaaaaaa a runner bean will produce runner beans, that's what they do