Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,alt.engineering.electrical,rec.motorcycles.tech
Rob Kleinschmidt Rob Kleinschmidt is offline

Default Battery problems, troubleshooting help needed

wrote:
However when I went to check the voltage
coming out of the rectifier, my multimeter went crazy and I could not
get any consistent reading when connecting the negative of the
multimeter to the engine block. It was as if something was interfering
with the multimeter. But when I used the frame of the tractor for the
negative, I finally got a consistent reading of around 0.3-0.7 volts
DC. The negative battery terminal runs directly to the engine block and
that connection was good. So immediately I assumed the rectifier was
bad. After connecting a new rectifier still the same problem.

I think you lost the ground connection between the engine and
frame. There ought to be a strap that connects them electrically.

I had this happen on a diesel, such that the only path to ground
was back through the glow plugs. Put on the headlights and
the engine overheats. Cute huh ?