Old 09-10-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default Camelia from seed

"Dave Moore" wrote in message

My camelia has produced one seed pod this year, the first time ever. How
long do I leave it on the plant, and what do I do with it then - I have no
idea about this at all!

Mary

quote

Camellias can be readily propagated by taking cuttings. In good summers
seedpods can sometimes be produced by plants. Although the resulting
seedlings will take 6-8 years to flower and be of unpredictable quality
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
many gardeners like the challenges of seed propagation. So if you want
to try seed propagation here's how:

Wait until the seedpod is ripe which will be indicated by it splitting
open (usually late Oct - early Nov). Each seedpod can contain 2-3 seeds
- only use the viable seed (these will be about pea-sized). Sow immediately
into individual 9cm pots of ericaceous compost, water in with rainwater
and place in a cold frame or against a wall in the shade. Seedlings
should emerge in spring.

/quote

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/camellias/camellia.asp

What it doesn't mention on there, is that the pods may be attracive to
wildlife. ISTR reading this somewhere. And so they may benefit from
some form of protection. Maybe an air permeable brown paper bag or
similar.

Also if the winter doesn't look like being cold enough, the seed
might benefit from a month in the freezer as a cold stimulus before
sowing. Try half and half maybe. Camellias are used to cold winters
in China etc. from where they originate

However if you just want to increase your stock, cuttings are a far
quicker method.

michael adams