Old 09-10-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Turning Over Vegetable Garden - yes or no?

"George.com" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
For most of the past 14 years, I have turned over the 6 squares in my
square foot vegetable garden. When I plant my vegetable starts, I do
not use black plastic or mulch, I simply dig up the weeds. However, I
am beginning to question the wisdom of turning over the soil, which
probably contains seeds from weeds and other injurious matter. Is it
better to turn over the soil, and if so, to what depth? Should
anything be added to the soil when it is turned over? When planting in
the spring, I plan to mulch around the starts. How close to the plants
should I mulch? And how deep should the mulch be? What type of mulch
is best? I plan to use red ochre. I live in Central New York where we
plant our vegetable starts around Memorial Day. I tear up my garden
Columbus Day weekend.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

This is directed to the OP, but my ISP has lost the original message....

Why tear up your garden on a specific date? Do you plant things like
broccoli, kale or collards? If yes, they pretty much laugh at frost. I've
got friends south of Cortland, who've been growing things like that right
into early December. They pull lots of dry leaves around the plants, and put
sticks in the ground taller than the plants. They put old shower curtain
liners (clear plastic) over the plants on the coldest nights. The sticks
keep the plastic from laying right on the plants.