Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,alt.engineering.electrical,rec.motorcycles.tech
[email protected] chris@groupinfo.com is offline

Default Battery problems, troubleshooting help needed

I seemed to have found the solution to the problem I posted: a dead
battery. After replacing the battery (load test failed at the store),
everything is working fine. And, the output from the rectifier now
shows about 14-14.5 volts DC, as it should. So it seems that the
problem all along was that the dead battery was causing the charging
system to not fuction at all, and made it seem that the rectifier was
bad.

Thank you again for all of the feedback. I hope this helps others that
may find this same problem. Now I have a brand new rectifier that i
don't need... sounds like Ebay material!

--
Chris

wrote:
Hello:

I have been trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem on my tractor
(John Deere 300 with 16 hp Kohler single cylinder) and so far I am
totally stumped. The problem is this: The battery seemed to be out of
juice so I had to jump the tractor from my car. The tractor started
right up and ran.... but as soon as I disconnected the jumper cables
from the car, the tractor stalled immediately.

I am assuming the tractor should continue to run on its own power, so I
started testing the charging system on it. The stator voltage was
fine, around 30 volts AC. However when I went to check the voltage
coming out of the rectifier, my multimeter went crazy and I could not
get any consistent reading when connecting the negative of the
multimeter to the engine block. It was as if something was interfering
with the multimeter. But when I used the frame of the tractor for the
negative, I finally got a consistent reading of around 0.3-0.7 volts
DC. The negative battery terminal runs directly to the engine block and
that connection was good. So immediately I assumed the rectifier was
bad. After connecting a new rectifier still the same problem.

So next I hooked up the jumper cables again and shut off the car,
keeping the cables attached.. and the tractor continued to run just
fine. I checked the voltage across the tractor's battery and it was
around 14.5 volts. I shut off the tractor with the key and the voltage
dropped to around 13.5 volts. When I saw this I assumed the charging
system was working and that my earlier assumption of a bad rectifier
was incorrect. Then I removed the jumper cables and the voltage then
showed 10.5 volts. Is it possible that the tractor's battery is bad or
shorted, causing these issues???

Thanks in advance for any feedback...
--
Chris