Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sweetcorn

In article ,
Jon wrote:
Hello all, new to this group. Apologies for rubbish message a few minutes
ago.....blaim 4 y.o. son.
Does anyone have any advice about growing sweetcorn? I'm thinking of trying
it in my greenhouse, but have no experience. How much space does it need?
How tall will it grow (can I control the height)? When? I'm in the south of
Scotland so there is a possability of frost for another 6 weeks say.

It doesn't need a greenhouse, but is a bit iffy in the UK. You can
grow it in pots now, but don't plant it out until the weather warms
up. The height depends on the variety - 4-6' in the UK, 6-10' in
the tropics. Plant it in blocks, not rows, as it is wind pollinated.

It is not very frost sensitive, but likes hot weather. Actually, you
have a possibility of frost at any time, but your expected date of
last frost should be in about 6 weeks! This affects things that are
seriously frost sensitive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679