Old 09-10-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Temporary storage of bluebell roots

JennyC wrote:
"patrick j" wrote in message
al.Net...
Hi

I'm very new to this gardening business, you'd be amazed what I don't
know

snipped
I've spoken to the gardener who put them in and he told me that all I
needed to do is put the bluebell roots back in after I take out the
weeds and they'll be fine.
Patrick

Bluebells are sort of bulbous corms with a few roots. They should have died
back completely by now (no leaves left showing and probably not too much
root either)

I'd be inclined to put them temporarily into some soil and not in a bucket
of water.

Definitely soil, not water. Bluebells aren't like daffodils or onions
in having a protective skin which would enable them to survive happily
out of the ground: I'd say this lack of a "tunic" also makes them more
vulnerable to the ill-effects of immersion.

--
Mike.