Old 10-10-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Donald Wagner Donald Wagner is offline

Default chinese elm wintering

M wrote:
I've put it outside and now will keep it there 'til the leaves fall off.

I do have a question about "how to water". Do you sit in a water bath and
water from the bottom or do you pour the water on top of the stones? Misting
should be alright, but not enough, I would think.

Any thoughts?

M.

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I have recently purchased a Chinese Elm bonsai and am wondering if it
should
stay outside all winter or is it meant to be brought indoors?

Will the the leaves fall off like other deciduous trees?

All helpful advice is requested.

I drown all my deciduous from the top. They have to have good drainage
so it shouldn't be an issue to soak it good when you do water. Just
don't let it freeze. Winter it in a garage or even bring it inside when
it gets below freezing outside or in the garage. Then put it back to
the cold but don't let it freeze, as the roots are not well protected in
our little pots. Basically the rule is, it needs 45 days under 45 degrees.

That's what I do for these maples:

Mi Amor Verde(18 yrs)
http://img3085.imagevenue.com/img.ph...5_000_0242.jpg
http://img3085.imagevenue.com/img.ph...6_000_0243.jpg

El Rojo Grande(11yrs)
http://img3085.imagevenue.com/img.ph...8_000_0248.jpg
http://img3085.imagevenue.com/img.ph...7_000_0245.jpg

Well, that's how it works in zone 7. YMMV, as always.

Donald