Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Amynthas

Default Counting frogs

In message , Kay Easton
writes
Does anyone have any idea how to count the frogs in a pond?

For example - I counted 36 frogs in the pond today - does that mean I
have 36 frogs? Or have I got nearer 50?

At breeding time, If they are on their own they are males
looking for females, if in a clinch and the one on top smaller of the
two then a male and female, if both the same size two males, one of whom
thinks/hopes the other is a male.

Males tend to hang around the pool waiting for females, females
turn up when ready and once they've spawned go elsewhere.

can one tell form how much spawn there is? Does each female lay one
batch or more than one batch - eg if I have 20 batches of spawn have I
got 20 females or could it have been laid by,say, 5 females?

One female produces one clump of spawn. Though occasionally if
disturbed I suppose they might spawn in two clumps. When the spawn first
hits the water it has no noticeable jelly round the outside, this is
produced as it absorbs water and once it occurs fertilization is
impossible - so the males have to be quick.

How many females does each male mate with? I presume once he's
fertilised one batch of eggs, he won't just sit on the sidelines, he'll
see if he can find another female.

How long is a piece of string? As many as he can get to.

Now the 50,000 pound question, why does someone post a
zoological query here when there is a trained zoologist somewhere in the
house?
--
Amynthas