Old 10-10-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Bloody slugs!

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote
Just been digging the last of the maincrop tatties, and a lot of them have
been attacted by slugs, had a bit of the same problem last year, how can I
grow my own tatties without being mucked up by slugs?

Always had that problem ourselves. Can be heartbreaking after all that
effort. :-(

Use a different variety helps, some are slug resistant.
You probably know about the Second Early "Kestral" already but there is also
some maincrops too..

On the British Potato Council list there are some that are marked as 5, one
better than Kestral, so should be even better at resisting the little
blighters.
Two we have tried and found have good resistance and we liked are..
Spey.. (son of Kestral) Very good resistance but not so easy to find seed.
Romano.. (red) Good

There are others to try...
Lady Rosetta (SE)
Hermes (MC)
Maritiema (SE)
Midas (MC)
Pentland Dell (MC)

Digging them up at the first sign of the hulms starting to die down helps
too.

When I dug up my 2nd maincrop I was very complacent, they were much
larger than the first lot. Sad when we came to use them, they are in a
terrible state, you name it they've got it.