Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bigjon[_1_] bigjon[_1_] is offline

Default OT OT car query

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:49:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?
In this category I'm including e.g. the Nissan Navara which my son has and
is recommending to me. Round here our hedges are extremely high and I feel
safer in a high driving position, given the speed some people insist on
doing in these very narrow lanes.

Here, I have variously driven a Volvo saloon & estate, a Subaru Impreza, a
Landrover Defender and a Jeep Cherokee. The Defender was a great driving
position but I didn't enjoy the rain joining me inside the car or the ice
that formed on its floor one cold February morning. My daughter actually
slipped and fell getting into it!
I've absolutely had it with my Jeep which has done only 15k in 3 years, had
several things wrong with it and now, finally, has blown the turbo as I was
driving back from Somerset on Sunday. Mercifully, it's still *just* under
guarantee but it's got to go, even though it's a great car to drive and v.
comfortable. To be fair, Ray has had no trouble with his, so obviously I
got the Friday car!

I would suggest you concentrate on the road, not what's over the hedges.

Women driving SUV's do not have a good reputation for attention to driving
care in my town, especially on the school run. Unless you have more money
than sense, go and buy a proper car, not an SUV.

Fact: The occupant death rate for SUV's as a whole is 6% higher than it is
for cars. For the largest SUV's, the ones 'people' presume are the safest,
the occupant death rate is 8% higher.

Fact: For every 1 million SUV's on the road, 122 people will die in
accidents involving them. For every 1 million family saloons on the road
only 21 people will die in accidents involving them.

Fact: A-road fatalities have been falling for years even though we are
putting in more miles on the road. Now that SUV's have become "cool"
(chelsea tractor syndrome) to own, fatalities have gone up for the first
time in ten years.

SUV's are safer in collisions because of there size, BUT that "safety" is
offset by being five-times more likely to roll over and the capacity to do
major damage to smaller vehicles.

90% of large SUV's are based on van frames, and vans are not exactly known
for having good traction, and just because it has 4X4 doesn't mean that it
will have good traction.

most SUV's are not designed for off-roading (exit farmers etc)
SUV's are generally more expensive than real cars (exit all sensible
people)
SUV's generally use a whole lot more fuel and they certainly produce more
pollutants than family saloons. (exit the environmentalists)
SUV's are more expensive to maintain (i.e. tires) (exit all but the very
wealthy)

http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/Dep...tp/antisuv.pdf

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...818/3_1suv.htm

--