Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default OT OT car query

"Sacha" wrote
Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?
In this category I'm including e.g. the Nissan Navara which my son has and
is recommending to me. Round here our hedges are extremely high and I
feel
safer in a high driving position, given the speed some people insist on
doing in these very narrow lanes.

Here, I have variously driven a Volvo saloon & estate, a Subaru Impreza, a
Landrover Defender and a Jeep Cherokee. The Defender was a great driving
position but I didn't enjoy the rain joining me inside the car or the ice
that formed on its floor one cold February morning. My daughter actually
slipped and fell getting into it!
I've absolutely had it with my Jeep which has done only 15k in 3 years,
had
several things wrong with it and now, finally, has blown the turbo as I
was
driving back from Somerset on Sunday. Mercifully, it's still *just* under
guarantee but it's got to go, even though it's a great car to drive and v.
comfortable. To be fair, Ray has had no trouble with his, so obviously I
got the Friday car!

You won't find much as tall as a Defender, I find I look down on most other
4x4's . Indeed I have remarked that I wished I was driving our one on the
odd occasion when trying to get to your place. That lane of yours is so
narrow, and yes, I did meet a dustbin lorry coming the other way once. :-(
Anyway, do the door seals still leak in the rain? I know my 20 year old ones
does.

Toyota have a very good reputation for reliability and some of their 4x4's
are quite good for their proper purpose although they do tend to look a bit
brash imo.
The New Discovery is the best looking LandRover at the moment imo and very
capable, reliability seems improved too after the push by BMW and then Ford.
Of the more road orientated 4x4's the BMW X5 is still up there with the best
although soon to be replaced (should be some deals around) and the new
Mercedes M Class has got excellent reviews (unlike the old one).

--
Regards
Bob H