Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier Philippe Gautier is offline

Default Bloody slugs!

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Gill Matthews" wrote after
"Alan Holmes" asked
Just been digging the last of the maincrop tatties, and a lot of them
have been attacted by slugs, had a bit of the same problem last year, how
can I grow my own tatties without being mucked up by slugs?

I have found watering in the slug eating nematodes works during damp
weather and during dry weather the slugs are not such a problem. I have
also given up growing late maincrop varieties as it seems to me that the
longer the spuds are in the ground the longer the slugs have to find them.

We used those expensive Nematodes a couple of years ago and didn't find any
difference in the damage, certainly not enough to warrant the expense. Could
be because it is a dry/warm part of the country here.

Funny, I tried the nematodes without any success in my garden and
concluded that it was too damp and cold!!!

Philippe, Edinburgh