Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Kay Easton

Default Sweetcorn

In article , Jon
writes
Hello all, new to this group. Apologies for rubbish message a few minutes
ago.....blaim 4 y.o. son.
Does anyone have any advice about growing sweetcorn? I'm thinking of trying
it in my greenhouse, but have no experience.

I can think of an immediate problem with pollination. Sweet corn is wind
pollinated - it relies on the wind to transfer pollen from the male
tassel like flowers at the top of the plant to the female flowers (which
will become the cobs) lower down, and is usually planted in square
blocks rather than straight lines to help this process.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/