Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

In article .com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| | What the Hell _is_ non-hybrid sweetcorn?
|
| Wild maize, or a true-breeding strain of it, eaten green. I ate a
| lot as a child. Like most forms of banana, it has almost never been
| seen in the UK.
|
| My understanding is that maize isn't found in the wild, and exists only
| in cultivated varieties. Is that understanding misguided?

Dunno. But it doesn't really matter. People distinguish true-breeding
strains of plums, Russell lupins etc. from hybrid varieties. Maize is
just another similar species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.