Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| | What the Hell _is_ non-hybrid sweetcorn?
|
| Wild maize, or a true-breeding strain of it, eaten green. I ate a
| lot as a child. Like most forms of banana, it has almost never been
| seen in the UK.
|
| My understanding is that maize isn't found in the wild, and exists only
| in cultivated varieties. Is that understanding misguided?

Dunno. But it doesn't really matter. People distinguish true-breeding
strains of plums, Russell lupins etc. from hybrid varieties. Maize is
just another similar species.

Ah, like British Rail before they vandalised it, I'm getting there. So
he perhaps wants a variety which isn't an F1 or F2. I imagine he has
his reasons.

--
Mike.