Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
P. Brookes P. Brookes is offline

Default runner beans

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
In article , michael adams
writes
How exactly did you prepare the beans ? Did you blanch them for instance,
before freezing ?

Yes, I did, drained them, let them cool and then put them into
appropriately sized bags, sucked out the air and twist sealed - could I
have improved on this, would it be better to just freeze without
blanching?

It's generally accepted that if its properly done home frozen beans are
quite acceptable.

Michael, do you have any tips on how to do it properly?

Hi Judith

Apologies for butting in.
We grow a lot of runner beans as the SO really loves them and we need a
supply to last until next year.
We use a Krisk Bean Stringer and Slicer to process them and bag them
straight to the freezer.
We never blanch them as I think they come out of the freezer a lot worse
than just freezing them direct.
They cook out of the freezer nearly as well as fresh. This might be because
it only takes a very short cooking time if they are shredded compared to
cross-wise cut "lumps"

Liz