Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Bloody slugs!

On 10/10/06 17:49, in article , "Gill Matthews"
account I no longer have wrote:

"Philippe Gautier" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Gill Matthews" wrote after
"Alan Holmes" asked
Just been digging the last of the maincrop tatties, and a lot of them
have been attacted by slugs, had a bit of the same problem last year,
how can I grow my own tatties without being mucked up by slugs?

I have found watering in the slug eating nematodes works during damp
weather and during dry weather the slugs are not such a problem. I have
also given up growing late maincrop varieties as it seems to me that the
longer the spuds are in the ground the longer the slugs have to find
them.

We used those expensive Nematodes a couple of years ago and didn't find
any difference in the damage, certainly not enough to warrant the
expense. Could be because it is a dry/warm part of the country here.

Funny, I tried the nematodes without any success in my garden and
concluded that it was too damp and cold!!!

from reading the label I would say warm and damp is what the nematodes
require without those conditions then yes you are probably wasting your
money

We use them here and they do work. But you must be very specific as to WHEN
you use them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk