Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default ESA

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
The CITES restriction on international trade in gator hides still
applies. The only valuable part of a gator is the hide, but if the
hide is properly tagged to show it was legally taken, there's no
problem in possessing it.

Have you heard the expression "Hip deep in alligators?" That's what a
lot of Florida and Louisiana are like these days---lots and lots of
really big, nasty reptiles. ...

That should be "That's what a lot of Fl and LA is like these days.... "

Mea culpa.

J. Del Col

Yeah, I googled this further and see where the Feds say they'll keep an eye
on trade in gators in case someone tries to pass off a (still endangered)
croc as a gator,
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/i/C0O.html but for the life
of me I can't see where anyone selling gator heads on eBay or over the
internet says *anything* about having the proper permits to sell their gator
heads. It ain't on their tag or receipt, I'll bet *G*! Which then makes me
wonder about the nature of this enforcement. Is it complaint driven? If
someone complains you are selling crocs then the Feds will swoop down? But
the croc would already be dead... so it doesn't save the croc anyway.
Weird.

And we worry so much about the Antec Paphs. (Oooh! Do you have the proper
documents in order to show the plant at an AOS show?)

To quote from Dr Strangelove "What a load of commie bull."

Maybe an alligator could eat an Antec paph...

OK, my fillings are picking up radiowaves from PLANET Pluto, so I'll shut up
now.

K Barrett