Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Corn only 3 feet tall

sunflower_info wrote:

That picture reminds me of something from my childhood. I had 2 uncles

who owned a big farm in Ohio. Mostly they grew corn. Out of countless
thousands of plants on hundreds of acres, sometimes one plant would
grow
much taller than all the others. Some sort of genetic mutation or at
least a genetic difference.
Anyway, I remember one day when one of the uncles brought back a really

tall corn plant to show everyone. I don't think it was quite as tall as

the one in the picture but it was very tall.
Steve

the variety I grow is Jala Valley landrace Maize. It's the tallest
variety of maize in the world. It's not uncommon to get corn as tall
as I had. In fact, I know people that had them about 25 feet or so. I
still have one more giant left in the garden that is still growing. I
don't know if it's going to get a tassel before frost comes. Had my
wife take a pic today. Sorry, but it's a bit dark.

[image:
http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/dat..._10_10_06.JPG]

I could never grow that where I live now. I live on the waterfront and
the wind often blows over corn that is only 5 or 6 feet tall. I can't
imagine what the wind would do to that.
Does that variety form ears like regular corn? If not, where are the
seeds produced?
I lightened your picture and mailed it back to you. If your return
address is valid, you should get it.

Steve