Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
MC MC is offline

Default chinese elm wintering

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

I keep mine on the mantlepeice and that is where it will stay.

MC

Then don't expect it to live very long -- especially if you have fires in
the fireplace.

No fires in the fireplace

That means that when indoors, they must be kept in ideal conditions (for
indoors, at least). This means either a south-facing windowsill or 14
hours (or more) under a strong grow light or fluorescent light -

The mantlepeice is 6ft from a very High and wide south facing window

humidifying the tree in the overly dry indoor environment (*especially*
the heated, wintertime indoor environment).

Tree sits on a humidifying tray and I give the whole tree a very fine spray
when watering

Elms are outdoor trees -- without exception. Chinese elms are one of the
toughest of the elms, meaning they can _survive_ for a while indoors --
but just barely, and in the right environment.

This may be true but I know of somebody who has had a chinese elm on their
mantlepeice for about 6 years and it thrives.

MC