Old 11-10-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Small flies in the pots

"cherokee" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a big problem with small flies living in my herbs pots. Have you
got
any idea what to do with them? I was looking for some sprays or sth. in
the
shops, but I haven't found anything I could use on herbs.

cherokee

Probably fruit flies or something similar.
They are living and breeding in the top few inches of soil and like
moist,damp warm locations with a source of decaying vegetation.
Particularly troublesome at this time of year with lots of over ripe fruit
sources. If the pots are outside then I would not worry too much but inside
they are a nuisance and a health hazard.
Remove the loose soil on top of the pot, add a bit of fresh soil/compost
and top off with shingle/pumice/gravel.
If that does not work then remove all the soil and repot.