Old 11-10-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default best spot weed killer

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:59:47 -0700, tenplay wrote:

I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

Not sure about your location, but the best time to treat for weeds is
in the spring, when weeds are young and vigorously growing. For
broadleaf weeds I like to use Weed-B-Gone and Spectricide, alternating
between these two. I mix it up in a garden sprayer, usually a little
stronger than recommended, then hit each weed. The best time to spray
is on a windless sunny day with no rain predicted in the next 48
hours. Even with the "Rain-proof" formulas, it is better to use with
no rain in the forecast. Do not mow a day before nor a day after
treatment. If you are in the US, overseeding now will result in fewer
weeds next spring. I found that the fall overseeding has greatly
reduced the need for herbicides and almost wiped out the crabgrass. Do
not use a petroleum product. Unlike Weed-B-Gone, RoundUp will kill
both weeds and grass.

I see nothing wrong with RoundUp taking a few days to work. I use it
along curbs, cracks in the driveway, and mulched areas.