Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default microfungus

Yes, I had the exact same experience with about a dozen Phals & they looked
just like Steve's pictures.
I tried all kinds of fungicides especially made for orchids but nada?
Ended up throwing them all away! I remember writing in here was when I first
joined up, saying that it started like someone splashed bleach on the leaves, then
they pitted, turned dry & also black edges etc. etc.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid
"Steve" wrote in message
al wrote:

Here is the link to Steve's pictures and it works. (All praise the internet!) It
is hard to read the archived post but it looked like some people, including Pat and
Aaron (two people who from my point of view tend to know what they are talking
about)thought some of the pictures looked like what they called microfungus. (To
me one looks like mite damage, but not all of them. Taken together, the group of
pictures looks like a lot of different problems to me.)

Okay group, from top to bottom, refresh my memory....which pictures look like
microfungus?
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/Phal_problems.html

Yeah, that's the page I made. I was going to show it if nobody else did.

I haven't done anything with it in a long time. The disease seems to be as incurable
as a virus but it spreads easier than most fungus diseases. (No physical contact
needed.)
At this point, I have one of the diseased plants left. It is my oldest orchid; the
first orchid I ever owned from back in the mid 70s. It has one small leaf left. It
looks normal but the disease will soon show itself in that last leaf and that will
be it. It's in a window away from my other orchids.
After that last one dies off, I believe I will be free of the disease. I hope it
isn't hidden in my other (non Phal) orchids waiting to reinfect any future Phals I
may buy. The original post mentioned Paphs and Phrags as being susceptible. I do
have a few of each showing some symptoms but I can't look at them and see the same
disease. Maybe I should look closer with that thought in mind.
I've been thinking lately that after the last Phal dies, I should go back and make
one last update to the Phal Disease page. Sounds like a project for some rainy fall
day.

Steve