Old 11-10-2006, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Preserving chillies

Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:20:41 +0100, echinosum
wrote:

Chillies do take several weeks to ripen. Frost will kill it, but even
if it is cool at night the chillies will eventually ripen provided they
get enough light, though further fruit will not set if it is cool. It
is enough to bring it inside and put it on a light windowsill before
the first frost. It should continue to ripen/produce chillies for at
least 6 more weeks. You can then prune it back, and with luck it will
start growing again next year, and it will then fruit earlier and be
more productive. Water modestly at this time, they naturally grow in
places with dry winters. Though it isn't guaranteed - if you had 10
plants you would probably loose at least half, especially if it is a C.
annum variety (the most common).

Thanks Echinosum; very useful advice. The plant is already on a west
facint window sill and getting TLC!

Note, though, that as your plant is a seedling from a supermarket
chilli, it's most unlikely to be best suited to British conditions.
Mine are the same: just for fun I grew two from a Tesco bird's-eye,
which probably came from Thailand. The plants are very different: one
fruited early and well, while the other is very shy and a couple of
months behind in fruiting, even though it's been a bigger plant right
from the start.

I've never been lucky enough to find second-year chillies, however
cosseted, more productive than an early spring sowing; though I've
never had any trouble in keeping them alive. Not that it usually
matters unless one has only a single plant: you generally get more than
you need anyhow.

Yes, p.k., you can freeze them; but I'm asking about salting.

--
Mike.