Old 11-10-2006, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

In article . com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| So I can save the seed and get the same variety for the next year!
|
| I don't think it would work; as I mentioned before, I think all sweet
| corn, like all our cereals, is the product of hybridisation. ...

That isn't quite the reason; so are many vegetable and fruits, and you
can do that with at least some varieties of most of the long-established
ones. See below ....

| It depends
| how choosy you are, but the best bet would, I suppose, be to try to
| find a few older non-F1 varieties and try them all. ...

Er, WHAT older non-F1 varieties? The main thing that enables maize
to grow at all in the UK is the fact that extreme short- and cold-
season F1 varieties have been developed. It isn't long ago when it
was almost unknown here!

But there is a worse problem. Even those (and the feedstock varieties)
don't ripen properly here, so the chances of getting viable seed are
poor. In some years, maybe - in others, no chance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.