Old 11-10-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default "Well rotted" manure?

"sfby" wrote in message
ps.com...

Once I've got my bags of horse manure, how do I know when it has rotted
enough to be mixed with my compost? Last year I just left it in a spare
bin for 6 months, but it didn't look (or smell!) much different to when
I started.

TIA

Paul

The part that needs to rot is the straw or shredded paper or whatever
other bedding material was used. And so the degree of further
decompostion and heating up, will depend on the proportion of straw etc
that was used. Manure of itself doesn't need to decompose any further as
all the decompostion was already done inside the animal's stomach. That's
why its possible to spead fresh cow manure, suitably watered down, straight
onto fields etc. Straight manure can be too concentrated when applied
direct to the soil however, hence the need to mix it with organic
matter first.

michael adams

michael adams