Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] silicontundra@gmail.com is offline

Default Heirloom tomatoes in Upper Midwest

William L. Rose wrote:
Silicon,
I guess if I were you I would harvest everything and put the green
tomatoes on a window sill to ripen.

If you have the time and the energy, you may want to build a green house
(tunnel) over your tomatoes, if you think there may be more good days
ahead.

Hi William and All,

As the snow and ice drop into Minnesota today, 10/11, from the North
Pole, we have harvested all the red (reddish) tomatoes and green
peppers. Our top bearing heirloom tomatoes were Brandywine, Stupice,
Beam's Yellow Pear and least Amish Paste.

We did experience mildew disease late in the season. But decided not to
use the copper mildewcide so late in the season; just killed watering,
and let our sandy soil stop it spread. The vines are held up with many
6ft bamboo poles.

The Beam's Yellow Pears were the most prolific bearing, but most are
still green and the snow is gonna cover the still blooming flowers. The
Beam's were least favored, as the tomatoes are too small, about 1 1/4"
long and the flesh tastes meally and tasteless. However, the cluster
bunches are attractive looking. Regards, Phil

During the cool, rainy spell, the Stupice are showing skin cracking on
the shoulder of almost every tomato. What causes this?

Should we harvest all tomatoes (ripe or not) during the eve of the
first hard frost?

Regards, Phil