Old 12-10-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default What a week

I think I protested too much, Nancy. And anyway, I am probably the last
person in the free world who needs approval from anyone else, LOL! And there
are many, many vols in our society, which now numbers around 150 souls.

When I joined some years back, the society was in the doldrums, and we
worked hard to make it the vibrant, successful organization it is today. I'm
proud of that. We get new members all the time, and they volunteer right
away, because they see the opportunities.

I have some personal pressures right now, which is why I've been feeling the
heat. It's all temporary, including the projects. Lots of others are working
on other things.

Thanks for listening. What a great group we are around here!

Diana

"Nancy G." wrote in message
ups.com...

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Nancy, you sound like I felt yesterday! There is so much to be done out
there. Granted, I don't need to move them inside. But they are clamoring
for
attention. Also, something is gnawing out there and I can't figure out
what
it is. 'Taint snails or their slimy relatives. Can't be an animal.

Also, does anyone have a cure for raise-hand-in-the-air disease? I'm
doing a
pre-meeting newbie class on orchid basics, which I and the class are
enjoying. But that's on top of the newsletter, VP, revising the bylaws,
display director, show program, trophy selection, new handbook, looking
into
non-profit status after tracking down our corporate status, and filling
in
occasionally for the Pres, who is dealing with a couple of crises
simultaneously. Oh, yeah - I'm also the auctioneer for our Nov. 4th
auction.

I guess that sounds like I'm whining. So many people volunteer and do so
much.

Nevermind.

Diana

I don't know how big your society is, but sounds like you need to
DELEGATE before you burn out completely. They would probably benefet
from another perspective. The other members should do a little of
their own research and become SME's (Subject Matter Expert) LOL if
there is such a super person with orchids.

Don't try and be an ODIE, you know the dog on the comic strip Garfield.
I'd call certain officers and NCO's Odies. You know the ones, I can
do that, I can do that, too. In the army they are usually commiting
troops to extra details to pad their efficiency reports.

Don't pant to take on more responsibility than you feel comfortable
with because you are seeking the approval of a bunch of people that
after all is said and done, don't really matter, share the wealth. I
know some of them come through when asked, you just have to ask a few
more to carry some of the smaller details. Maybe then they won't
notice that you aren't working as hard and enjoying the events more.

The other side to the coin of being an Odie is being an ELMO. They are
the ones that never get past I want, I want. Try and split the
difference. If someone comes to you with an "I want", direct them to
someone else that has expressed and interest in that arena to you.
Just try not to use the same name every time, or they will feel as you
do now.

In my case, I don't know whether Tim was avoiding helping my B-I-L, or
trying to teach me a lesson. I've got too many orchids, because I
wanted them. My problem, not his. Doesn't matter, they got moved and
cleaned. Tim just hasn't seen me for 5 days, and I've eaten a lot of
TV dinners. Probably does us both good.

Too bad about Pluto, I kind of miss him. But it is a neat idea for a
Halloween costume.

Anyway, we both need a Calgon take me away evening. You know the ones,
sit in a bath tub of nice smelling water, read trashy romance novels,
drink your favorite wine or whatever, and eat bon-bons. Finished here,
that sounds like my next plan. Pamper myself, just a little.

Nancy