Old 11-10-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Butterfly ID

On 11/10/06 18:27, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

Just got back from Madeira where high up (above 3000 feet) we saw a lot of
largish, yellow with orange markings, Butterflies, there seemed to be two
sorts one larger than the other but similarly coloured. the larger a bit
bigger than a red admiral.

The only truly yellow one I can find is on a same-sex holidays site from the
Madeiran tourism board.
http://www.madeira-tourist.com/pages...x/samesex.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't give its name.

I do not recall any black markings just orange (they were not very
cooperative as each time they settled on the Agapanthus flowers they closed
their wings!) and I was being hassled to be careful as we were next to a 600
foot drop!

Not surprising!

If no one is able to point me at a suggestion from this rubbish description
I should have pictures later but had a slide film in which I have not yet
finished.

Also saw a lot of Milkweed Butterflies which at first thought to be Monarchs
but they were lower down

Did you have a lovely holiday and did you go to the Blandy garden this time?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk