Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough Janet Baraclough is offline

Default Rosa Rugosa

The message
from "David in Normandy" contains these
words:

I've bought a "Rosa Rugosa Exception" today, it has a number of large ripe
hips. Can these be stored and the hips split and the seeds planted in
Spring? I'd like to plant a hedgerow of them if I can, though I imagine
they'd need to be grown for a year or two in pots until they are big enough
to plant out. Will they come more or less true? Any tips for the
storing and
planting of the seeds?

I hadn;t heard of that one so looked it up, very pretty. The double
ones are hybrids I think so you might not get true seedlings. Howver,
rugosa flower very young so you won't have to wait years to find out.

All the rugosas (IME) are extremely easy to root from late cuttings in
the open garden. You'll get plenty of new cutting material on the bush
next year and that would probably be the best way to get a uniform
hedge.

Janet