Old 12-10-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Butterfly ID

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/10/06 18:27, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

Just got back from Madeira where high up (above 3000 feet) we saw a lot

of
largish, yellow with orange markings, Butterflies, there seemed to be

two
sorts one larger than the other but similarly coloured. the larger a bit
bigger than a red admiral.

The only truly yellow one I can find is on a same-sex holidays site from

the
Madeiran tourism board.
http://www.madeira-tourist.com/pages...x/samesex.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't give its name.

I do not recall any black markings just orange (they were not very
cooperative as each time they settled on the Agapanthus flowers they

closed
their wings!) and I was being hassled to be careful as we were next to a

600
foot drop!

Not surprising!

If no one is able to point me at a suggestion from this rubbish

description
I should have pictures later but had a slide film in which I have not

yet
finished.

Also saw a lot of Milkweed Butterflies which at first thought to be

Monarchs
but they were lower down

Did you have a lovely holiday and did you go to the Blandy garden this

time?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Yes we had a lovely time, it had rain between your visit and ours so forest
fires were under control, but our week was sunny throughout.
Yes the Blandy garden was due for a repeat visit and you are quite right the
opening times have been extended and they are doing a lot of work in the
garden with several previously run down parts looking a lot better, we
walked back toward Funchal in the afternoon along the levada that runs just
above the garden. But the star for me was the high levada we came through a
tunnel from sunshine, agapanthus and hydrangea and were in what almost
seemed a wild garden, just stuffed with the Native madeiran plants, dripping
ferns and cool atmosphere, sadly we chickened out after the next tunnels as
the path became very narrow at less than 6" and the drops were a lot worse
than 600 feet!
The picture of the butterflies is what they looked like with their wings
closed

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk