Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

Default Butterfly ID

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Just got back from Madeira where high up (above 3000 feet) we saw a lot of
largish, yellow with orange markings, Butterflies, there seemed to be two
sorts one larger than the other but similarly coloured. the larger a bit
bigger than a red admiral.
I do not recall any black markings just orange (they were not very
cooperative as each time they settled on the Agapanthus flowers they

closed
their wings!) and I was being hassled to be careful as we were next to a

600
foot drop!

If no one is able to point me at a suggestion from this rubbish

description
I should have pictures later but had a slide film in which I have not yet
finished.

African Migrant (Catopsilia florella) or Clouded yellow (Colias crocea)

Also saw a lot of Milkweed Butterflies which at first thought to be

Monarchs
but they were lower down

"milkweed butterfly" is another name for the Monarch butterfly (Danaus
plexippus) which is resident on the Madeira Archipelago.

HTH

Liz